Buckley Old Time Education Days: September 25th & 26th 2013
2013 Education days will be 2 big fun filled days, Wednesday-Thursday.
Each year the club hosts over 1000 fourth graders from about 12 local schools. The kids get to experience what it was like in the good old days. The kids get to ride the clubs 1923 steam train and 1800's passenger car. They get to stroll down front street with its train depot, switch house, print shop, harness shop, blacksmith shop, old time necessities demo building, barber shop, fountain, general store, cobbler shop and 120 year old Mayfield town hall.
Throughout the day the kids also experience live demonstrations of:
- Wheat threshing with a steam engine
- 1800's saw mill – steam powered
- Stationary steam engines in the steam building and a stop at the purple whistle tower.
- Antique gas engines and drag saw.
- Bowl mill powered by a Farmall tractor.
- 1900's print shop and newspaper.
- Prony brake (power testing).
- Rock crusher powered by a 1941 Silver King tractor.
- Woodworking in the huge woodworking building.
- Foundry – making cast iron dinner bells.
- Shingle mill powered by a Farmall tractor.
- Shingle branding
- Old time necessities ( weaving, rope making, spinning, soap making, Etc.)
- 1914 Hart Parr tractor, 1918 Flour City tractor, 1913 Bull tractor and many more with a brief history of the tractor.
- Corn shelling, fodder cutter, grist mill, grindstone, and other farm chores.
- The kids and adults end there day with delicious local cider and donuts provided by the club!
If you would like your school to come to the 2013 Education days contact:
Jim Luper (231) 263-5096 or (231) 570-2506